Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Captain America Never Had to Raise a Teenager

Before my husband and I were married, during our early stages of dating, we were both nervous about the idea of my having to interact with his son (my now stepson) for the first time. Courtship and romance are not quite the same when a teenager is part of the package. As I am with anything new, I was all in, positive, optimistic and, if I'm being honest, unrealistic. I was going to be the cool girlfriend that the kid would like! I would find a common ground, establish a connection, he my witty and spontaneous self, then BOOOOM! Instant bond. I have been teaching teenagers for years...I should've known better.
One evening, to break the ice, my husband (boyfriend) put Logan on the phone without asking either of us first. He's a "throw 'em in, sink or swim" kinda guy. Logan and I both awkwardly said hello, and there was an even more awkward silence. Finally we got around to a discussion about Avengers. He asked who my favorite was. " That's really an unfair question," I replied, "because who can choose between Captain America and Iron Man!?" In his excitement, forgetting that he was not, by default, supposed to like me, he yelled, "I my GOSH! That's what I always say!" I smiled my cat...canary smile and in my head heard the BOOOOM - instant connection, no waiting! Captain America may just be a good looking man in a tight costume, but he just saved the day! But Captain America never had to deal with a 13 year old boy from a broken family...
Please read tomorrow for the "I'm 13 not 3" Incident.
Blessings and Peace,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment